LIFT DESIGN FOR THE WORLDS TALLEST BUILDING
Vincent Tse, Managing Director of Buildings MEP in China, talks about the technical challenges of designing vertical transportation systems for super-and-mega-tall towers, and his solutions for achieving the most efficient designs.
Vertical transportation (VT) system design in super-and-mega-tall buildings is extremely challenging. As VT designers, we have to meet with the basic international standards at the same time as dealing with the many conflicting design priorities, parameters and the wide-ranging requirements of architects, building developers and operators. It involves the art of design coordination, integrating the needs of all stakeholders into one harmonious solution.
There is no end to the creativity of architects when it comes to designing extremely tall, iconic buildings. Building developers and designers want their projects to stand out, with attractive eye-catching building shapes to differentiate them from their neighbours. These can take any form, from conventional squares and rectangles to circles, ellipses, triangles, rhomboids, fans and any other variety of shape that the designers can imagine.
The shape of the building impacts on the vertical transportation design. For example, for a round office building with a circular central core, the elevators may have to be designed in a ‘fan’ shape to increase handling capacity, floor efficiency and also to match the building form.
No matter whether you need support with teamwork, leadership, change, sales and service, or culture and engagement, your learning journey with Insights will start with what's most important - your people. Using a mix of our portfolio, our solutions are tailored to your needs, helping you make an immediate impact where it's needed most, and supporting you far into the future.
It’s a fact that over 65% of performance problems could be solved by improving employee relationships, and that’s why we start with people,
Self-awareness is at the start of every journey that counts. When it’s followed by a deep understanding of the colleagues and teams around us, breakthroughs start to happen right across your business. When relationships are healthy, people are able to work quickly, effectively and focus on the right things. Our solutions get right to the heart of what’s happening in your business, but our approach makes it simple for everyone to get on board, meaning that -self-understanding is increased…
we rapidly move to application. Our simple, user-friendly language makes it easy for people to transfer the learning from the classroom to their life and work. From day one, what we teach can be quickly applied to the real challenges affecting your people, teams and leaders. This means that real and sustainable change takes place.
This is where the business breakthroughs happen. We help people to build better relationships at work. When relationships improve, so does productivity, communication, customer service, organisational culture, teamwork, engagement levels and leadership effectiveness. By improving thousands of interpersonal interactions across your business every day, the business-benefits are felt organisation-wide almost immediately
BIM IMPORTANT STEPS:
- Agile Foundation Building - Reducing error & inconsistencies
- Eliminate confusion with suppliers.
- Set up for streamlined, standardised and automated production of project deliverables.
- Essential first step that sets up the success of the entire process.
- Dynamic Component Creation - Confidence in ordering & fabrication
- Increased productivity creating customised solutions to clients.
- Reduced error and inconsistencies.
- Easily manage variations and amendments.
- Integrate with specifically developed modelling automation tools the whole team can generat
- Elite Modeling Automation - Boosting production capabilities & productivity
- Ability to easily train new and existing team members to produce company specific detailed project models.
- Easily and quickly produce fully detailed models for new project proposals and initial prospect meetings.
- Become less reliant on specialist detailers.
- Reduce material dispatch time schedules increasing production capabilities.
- Easily and quickly generate actual project cost of all materials and labor.
- Precision Cost Generation - Eliminate manual processes & estimating
- Produce automated accurate cost of entire projects within minutes.
- Eliminate manual and time consuming material takeoff production.
- Per L/M, Sq/M and per item labor installation cost options.
- Update itemised supplier costs with ease.
- Compare cost of materials from multiple suppliers to ensure you are producing the best cost you can for each project.
- Ability to easily train relative team members to produce a cost directly from a detailed model.
- We work with you to produce a company specific quoting system:
- Produce a Tekla model.
- Create a material report.
- Import the details to a specifically designed costing report.
- Generates a clearly categorised and itemised cost of materials for an entire structure.
- Generates a clearly categorised and itemised cost of associated labor.
- Business Growth Procedures - Simple implementation & training, minimising disruption
- Eliminate manual and time consuming training processes.
- Ability to easily train new team members to produce all company standard project models.
- Ability to easily train new team members to produce all company standard reports and drawings.
- Ability to easily train new team members to generate an actual cost of project materials, fabrication and assembly.
- Instructional videos and supporting documentation for company Standard Operating Procedures will be produced.
- Modelling production for all developed custom components.
- Modelling standard structures using the developed API.
- Drawing production for all templates developed.
- Report production for all templates developed.
- Quoting & cost production
Why the sudden growth?
The four countries chosen for this chart – India, Indonesia, New Zealand and South Africa – all have quite different underlying expectations of growth. For example, India is one of the major growth engines of the world economy at the moment, whilst New Zealand is a developed economy with much lower growth. Indonesia and South Africa sit between the two, with growth dependent on their underlying industry structure. Although South Africa is an emerging economy with great potential, much of its economy is driven by Mining and Extraction. This industry is suffering from the reduction in investment by the Chinese government, therefore reducing the growth in South Africa.
What is remarkable about the chart is not so much the differences between the countries, but the similarity. For all the countries, 2017 and 2018 are expected to be much higher growth than 2016.
The reason for the change is the drive towards subscription pricing by the major vendors Dassault Systèmes, PTC and especially Autodesk. Autodesk has a significant market share in this application segment, so any change in Autodesk revenue expectations will change the entire segment. As Autodesk moved towards only offering subscriptions for new customers during 2016, we expect a drop in the revenues. This is because of the difference in how revenues are treated between subscription and perpetual licenses. In subscriptions, the revenue is recognised across the term of the license; perpetual revenues are recognised as in the year the license was purchased.